“This is a story of boy meets girl. But you should know up front, this is not a love story… This is a story about love”
Okay so after watching 500 days of summer when I was 16, I absolutely hated it. At that stage in my life, I
was a little naive about love and life, totally unaware of the reality and consequences life brings.
Anyhow after discovering that Scott Neustadter, one of the script writers wrote the story about an experience he went through whilst studying at LSE. I couldn’t help but rewatch the movie and reconsider my initial judgement on it, especially since I have grown a lot in the past five years.
Anyhow here are my throughout the movie thoughts/ side-tracking accompanied with quotes 🙂 enjoy:
“Why is it that pretty girl can treat people like crap and get away with it” Note to world- this is not okay. Whilst true, it’s sad, pretty girls who are mean just lose the pretty from their title. That is all!
Response to this “centuries of reinforcement”
– actually in my opinion it is centuries of repression. Pretty girls are standing up for girls and women who were
“Colour my life with the chaos of trouble”
– films my mind with kaleidoscopic messages and images.
“To die by your side is such a heavenly way to die” – I actually have to give this way up to The Smiths. Pure mush, I love it.
“Loneliness is overrated, psheet”
– just brilliant.
“I just don’t feel comfortable being anyone’s girlfriend. I just don’t feel comfortable being anyone’s anything”
– okay I think somehow Summer is starting to get through to me. It’s not necessarily her fault she ended up this way. She didn’t lead on the guy, she just never felt comfortable. It’s something she is almost immune to because of the pain she has had to suffer and ah everything is starting to fall together.
“I like being on my own. Relationships are messy and peoples feelings get hurt. We are young, we live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. We might as well have fun while we can” – this just reminds me of one of my best friends and is extreme relatable. I personally can relate to Summer so much. I’ve always been by myself and that’s how I’m empowered and feel strong and most importantly me. One day a guy will break through, but for now, I’m just doing me until that special moment arrives.
“Holy shit she’s a dude”
– okay just because a girl doesn’t necessarily want a relationship this defines her as a ‘dude’. Right here that’s a major issue of guys in today’s age. Like what why are you stigmatising women into these stereotypes. A woman can do as she likes.
“Most marriages end in divorce these days, just like my parents.”
– that explains it all. Everything. The behaviour of Summer. It doesn’t explain why they don’t work though, I just don’t think that they were meant to be.
“I think you know when you feel it”
– wow JGL is so cute when he’s emotional dammit!
“I think we can agree to disagree”
– you go girl.
“Do you like me?”
– no Summer, why are you pushing him and leading him on when you know you are both opposites and want different things in the long run. He’s a guy whose made for love. Real love, like the love where it breaks to be a part. This is just the sole area where so many girls just mess up. Stop messing around with the good guy. Just because you may have got hurt by the bad guy doesn’t mean you should become him.
“Darling, I don’t know how to tell you this, but erm, there’s a Chinese family in our bathroom”
– hahahaha I can’t breathe right now. It’s just too funny hahahahah.
“I just want to tell you something. I’m not really looking for something serious. Is that okay?”
– okay how did JGL just agree to this. He got himself into this mess. All the time I was blaming the girl, but I realise it was him. She set the boundaries, he said no. She wanted to keep it casual. He’s misinterpreting everything. She honestly didn’t initially do anything wrong as she warned him. Actions speak louder than words but :O
“The best way to get over a woman is through literature”
– Henry Miller, it basically just explains the entire movie.
“He realised these were stories that weren’t told. They were stories that had to be earned… I’ve never told that to anyone before”.
– it’s so sad. He thinks he’s breaking down her walls and bringing her in, pulling her into this force he is already feeling, but it’s not true. She isn’t. She’s falling, just not for him.
“What are we doing? What’s going on with us?”
– I know how hard it is to ask this question and here I really cave for him. Poor thing. He didn’t get the answer he really wanted. It could have been worse, but he wanted so much better.
“We don’t have to put a label on it I get that. I just want some consistency. For you not to wake up in the morning and suddenly feel differently.”
– not cool. Summer you are just breaking his heart. He doesn’t deserve this. It hurts a little to see.
Favourite bits of the movie
• the indie feel of the entire movie, the setting, the dress sense, the vibes- everything has a folksy-indie feel
• the general dialogue- it is so relevant to having conversation with the twenty-something or another
• the choice of The Smiths used in general
• Joseph Gordon-Levitt 😘
• the music choice in general, every thorn has its rose, she’s like the wind… Just wonderful and whimsical
• Zoey Deschanel 😍
• how JGL just tells his friends everything haha it’s so cute. I didn’t know guys do the same thing as girls.
• the awkward moment when Paul and Summer met.
• ikea, yes- such a place for couples… Awkward
• how this movie has a 10 things I hate about you bounce to it- I don’t know if it’s the existence of JGL, the crazy outbursting scenes or what, but there just something about it.
• all of summer’s bags- I love them
Okay confession: I couldn’t bring myself to watch the entire movie. It got way too sad and I have a few essays due, I need to maintain some form of optimism. Maybe I’ll finish this at one point but for now, I can’t.